There’s been a lot of buzz about kids learning to code lately. This year, almost 200 million students around the world were exposed to coding through the Hour of Code event. And over 90% of American parents want programming added to their child’s curriculum.¹
In today’s digital world, coding is a fundamental skill alongside math and reading, but too few kids have the opportunity to learn to program because it is rarely taught in school.
Tynker’s mission is to create a fun and engaging platform where children not only learn to program, but also have opportunities to be creative using code.
Here’s why learning to code is so important for children:
- Coding drives innovation. From self-driving cars to robot-assisted surgery to social media, computer science is revolutionizing every aspect of our lives. Coding is a fundamental skill that children need to learn so they can lead this movement.
- Coding allows kids to be creative. They can create projects that do really amazing things.
- Coding builds confidence. It is incredibly empowering for children to be able to create projects and show them off to family and friends.
- Coding is best learned early. Learning to code is similar to learning a second language. The earlier that children are exposed to fundamental topics like sequencing, loops, and conditionals, the more deeply they absorb these concepts.
- Coding translates to success in other areas. Learning to program supports learning in other areas, like math, reading, and science.
Tynker makes it easy and fun for children to code
Kids, parents, and teachers love Tynker
“He's having fun and learning at the same time. You can't ask for much more than that. Coding is an integral skill to learn in today's society.” — Elijah's mom, Kristina
“Our children are growing up in a different world [than] their parents, and learning coding opens up many options” — Jackson's mom, Charlotte
“Students have to think and be creative while using Tynker because it is all about problem solving.” — Kyle Ivey, Instructional Technology Director
How to get started with Tynker
Have you child try all of our free activities on the Hour of Code page and download our free app for Android or Apple tablets. If your child is ready for an accelerated experience, Tynker offers courses for children to learn to code at home or at school. Your child can start learning and creating today!