- Grades 6 - 8
- Intermediate level
- 11 lessons
- Web iPad
- 11 lessons
- 22 activities
- Enhanced Creativity Tools
- Automatic Assessment
- Tutorials and Reviews
- Coding Puzzles
- DIY Projects
No previous coding experience required.
Create a project that demonstrates your knowledge of percentages and calculating the price of items.
IntroductionIn this lesson, students will play an interactive game that involves calculating the percentage of tomatoes chosen and calculating the price of a certain amount of tomatoes. Next, students will follow a step-by-step tutorial in the DIY (do-it-yourself) module to create their own version of the game they just played. They will clone tomato Actors and program the Stage to ask two questions about percentages. If students finish early, ask them to look at the bonus section in step 4/4 of the tutorial, which encourages them to change the number of tomatoes that are cloned.
After completing the DIY module, students will be asked 5 quiz questions about percents and money math problems. By the end of the lesson, students will have experimented with coding concepts (e.g., loops, motion, basic math, cloning, conditionals, math, messaging) while reinforcing percentages and calculating the price of items.
- Percent: A fraction of the whole that refers to parts out of 100, noted with the "%" symbol
- Solve real-world scenario math problems on percents and money
- Use code blocks to create an interactive game on market price items
- Computers or iPads (1 per student) with student account access to Tynker.com
- simple loops
- simple motion
- basic math
- conditional loops
- simple conditionals
- advanced math
- simple messaging
- CCSS-Math: MP1, 6.RP.A.3.C, 7.RP.A.3
- CCSS-ELA: SL.6.1, SL.7.1, SL.8.1
- CSTA: 2-AP-12, 2-AP-13, 2-AP-16, 2-AP-17
- CS CA: 6-8.AP.13, 6-8.AP.16, 6-8.AP.17
- ISTE: 1.c, 1.d, 4.d, 5.c, 5.d, 6.b