Tynker Blue Ribbon Educator Program Opening for Fall!
This year at the SXSWedu conference, we announced some big news! We created a training program for educators called the Tynker Blue Ribbon Educator Program. The program has one sustaining mission:
Making computer science for everyone a reality.
The goals of this program are simple. We want to give teachers, even those who aren’t Tynker experts, a chance to dive into coding education in a big way. We want to prepare our students for a future in which their job descriptions don’t even exist yet. As a Tynker Blue Ribbon Educator, you’ll get access to curriculum, training, PD opportunities, and, most importantly, community support.
What is a Blue Ribbon Educator?
The Tynker Blue Ribbon Educator and the Blue Ribbon Training Program were created to bring together educators who are dedicated to making coding a priority in their practices. Blue Ribbons receive exclusive training, resources, and access to curricula to help them on the path to becoming code-teacher masters. They are dedicated to coding instruction by providing support, connecting at conferences, sharing their knowledge, and being an integral part of the maker and coding community.
Why become a Blue Ribbon Educator?
Each year, Tynker will accept new teachers into the Tynker Blue Ribbon Training Program. As part of the program, teachers will receive many perks and benefits, including:
- A valuable Professional Development credential for their teaching portfolio and resume
- Speaking opportunities at local and national conferences
- A Classroom license of Tynker’s award-winning curriculum for up to 30 students
- Discount on Tynker’s premium curriculum for their entire school
- Exclusive training on implementing coding across the curriculum
- Inclusion in the Tynker Professional Development Directory
- Guest author privileges on the Tynker Blog, reaching thousands of teachers that are enthusiastic about computer science
- First look at new features and coding curricula
Do I have to be a Tynker user to apply?
No, you don’t! Previous Tynker experience doesn’t hurt, but most importantly you need to prove:
- A dedication to providing coding tools and skills to your students
- Experience using some form of coding platform (block coding a plus)
- A drive to get every student in the world coding
- A track record of excellence in teaching and learning
- A desire for collaboration and sharing among colleagues
- A devotion to making the world a better place
How do I apply?
Applications will open up soon. You will be asked to:
- Create a 1-minute PSA video with the theme “Why We Need Coders.” Why the urgency and import for building strong computer science skills in our students and society?
- Answer a few questions about your desire and motivations in teaching these skills.
- Be available for Premium Training on Friday, Oct. 20th from 11am – 2pm ET. This online training, presented by coding masters, is designed to hone your skills as an advanced coding teacher.
The PSA Video: What are you looking for?
If video isn’t your thing, don’t worry. Something to keep in mind: videos don’t require you to be in front of a camera. An animation, a whiteboard video – there are many ways to communicate this message. Have fun! Here are some videos that inspire us:
I’m ready. What do I do next?
Applications open Sept. 12th, but you can sign up to be notified when they open.