How to Use Clever with Tynker
We’re excited to announce that Tynker is now fully integrated with Clever! Clever, one of the most popular platforms for managing technology access in the classroom, makes it easy to connect student information systems (SIS) with learning apps. Classroom apps are auto-rostered for district administrators, kept up-to-date for classrooms, and the best part is that students access all apps with a single login. Clever’s full integration with Tynker makes it even easier to teach Computer Science in the classroom!
Who can use this solution?
If your district uses Clever and has enabled Tynker, you can start using this solution immediately!
- Teachers – Select Tynker from your portal. On first launch you will be prompted to set up your classroom. All your students will be automatically added to Tynker, and then you can assign Tynker lessons to your students.
- Students – Select Tynker from your portal, and access your Tynker dashboard and teacher assigned lessons.
- Administrators – Enable Tynker in your dashboard, and allow data sharing, so that your students and teachers all have access to Tynker.
All schools, whether you use our free or premium version, are able to enjoy Clever Secure Sync with Tynker. If you do not see Tynker in your Clever portal, please ask your district administrator who handles Clever and the SIS to enable Tynker for your district. Here’s the link.
- Launch Tynker – Click on the Tynker icon in your Clever Portal to sign into Tynker.
- Import your Class – Tynker detects that you are using Clever login and shows you all your sections on Clever. Select the class in which you want to teach coding, then click on the “Link Classroom” button. You should see your classroom created. Click into the Students tab and make sure that all your students are in Tynker.
- Select a Lesson Plan – If you are using our free solution, our introductory 6-hour FREE programming course P100 is automatically selected, and the first 3 lessons are assigned to your students. If your school has access to our paid curriculum, you have the option of selecting the coding course that is right for your class.
- More classrooms? Repeat steps 2-3 for all sections that you want to import into Tynker using the “New Classroom” button.
How does Tynker sync with Clever?
Tynker imports data from your students’ roster nightly using Clever Secure Sync.
I made a change in my SIS and I do not see it in Tynker.
When a new teacher or class is added to Clever, the new teacher or section is available in Tynker the following day. If there are changes to existing class section rosters or brand new students, as long as those changes are reflected in your SIS, they will be shared with Clever and then reflected in Tynker the following day.
I made a change in my SIS and the data is not showing up in Clever.
If you do NOT see the change when you browse your data in Clever, please check your SIS to make sure it’s updated. If you see the change in your SIS but not in Clever, please contact Clever Support for help. If you see the change in your SIS and in Clever but not in Tynker, please email email@example.com for help.
Can I add more classrooms in Tynker?
We do not recommended that teachers manually add or delete classrooms in Tynker. Instead, if your SIS adds the class, you should automatically see the class in Tynker, by the following day.
How secure is my data?
School districts maintain full ownership and control over their data, and Clever also helps schools maintain their FERPA obligations. You can read more on how Clever does this here.
I need more help migrating my data.
If you are already using Tynker and have student accounts created, but want to move to Clever-based accounts, we can help you migrate your student accounts so that they do not lose progress.
Need more help?
If you’ve tried these troubleshooting tips and you’re still having issues, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to help you out!
Not already using Tynker Premium? Be sure to visit our site and see what premium access to Tynker’s full programming curriculum can do for your classroom.