In this advanced lesson plan, students will be introduced to the physics library as they build Gravity Sling, a projectile game inspired by Angry Birds (TM). They define the behaviors of different kinds of projectiles and use physics commands such as impulse, gravity and collisions to build the game. Ninja Runner is an advanced physics platformer game with a boss fight sequence that challenges them to apply all the concepts and skills they have learned.
Students who successfully complete this lesson plan will demonstrate excellent understanding of a variety of programming concepts and computational thinking skills, and will be able to design and implement projects of moderate to advanced complexity.
- List variables
- Structured data
- Advanced flow control
- Physics attributes
- Sending and receiving messages
- Advanced conditional logic
- Boolean operators
What Students Learn
- Build a complete projectile-based physics game
- Build a complete platformer game using physics
- Programmatically generate never-ending platforms
- Program a hero with multiple actions and access them via keys
- Use cloud variables and a list data structure to implement a leaderboard
- Use variables to keep score and game speed
- Program enemy A.I.
Technical Requirements* Online courses and lesson plans require a desktop computer, laptop computer, Chromebook, or Netbook with Internet connection and a Chrome (29+), Firefox (30+), Safari (7+), or Internet Explorer (10+) browser. No downloads required.
- 16 lessons
- 104 activities
- Enhanced Creativity Tools
- Automatic Assessment
- Tutorials and Reviews
- Coding Puzzles
- DIY Projects
- Teacher Guides
- Answer Keys