- Grades 6 - 8
- Intermediate level
- 11 lessons
- Web iPad
- 11 lessons
- 22 activities
- Enhanced Creativity Tools
- Automatic Assessment
- Tutorials and Reviews
- Coding Puzzles
- DIY Projects
No previous coding experience required.
Create a project that demonstrates your knowledge of percents and money.
IntroductionIn this lesson, students will play an interactive game that involves calculating the percentage of pizza slices and calculating the price. Next, students will follow a step-by-step tutorial in the DIY (do-it-yourself) module to create their own version of the game they just played. They will program the Stage to ask a question about the percentage of pizza selected and use variables to count the number of Actors selected. If students finish early, ask them to look at the bonus section in step 5/5 of the tutorial, which encourages them to add or remove pizza slices and add special effects when the player gets the questions right or wrong.
After completing the DIY module, students will be asked 5 quiz questions about percentages and money math problems. By the end of the lesson, students will have experimented with coding concepts (e.g., costume handling, variables, basic math, input/output) while reinforcing real-world scenario math problems about percents and money.
- Percent: A fraction of the whole that refers to parts out of 100, noted with the "%" symbol
- Quarter: One of four equal parts
- Solve real-world scenario math problems on percents and money
- Use code blocks to create an interactive game on percents and money
- Computers or iPads (1 per student) with student account access to Tynker.com
- advanced costume handling
- simple variables
- basic math
- CCSS-Math: MP1, 6.RP.A.3.C, 7.RP.A.3
- CCSS-ELA: SL.6.1, SL.7.1, SL.8.1
- CSTA: 2-AP-13, 2-AP-16, 2-AP-17
- CS CA: 6-8.AP.11, 6-8.AP.13, 6-8.AP.16, 6-8.AP.17
- ISTE: 1.c, 1.d, 4.d, 5.c, 5.d, 6.b