- Grades 6 - 8
- Intermediate level
- 11 lessons
- Web iPad
- 11 lessons
- 22 activities
- Enhanced Creativity Tools
- Automatic Assessment
- Tutorials and Reviews
- Coding Puzzles
- DIY Projects
No previous coding experience required.
Create a project that demonstrates your knowledge of coordinate planes.
IntroductionIn this lesson, students will preview an interactive coordinate plane and move their mouse cursor on the coordinate plane to see which point it is on. Next, students will follow a step-by-step tutorial in the DIY (do-it-yourself) module to create their own version of the project they just previewed. They will draw a horizontal and vertical axis, program an Actor that follows the mouse cursor, and make the blue ball Actor mark the coordinate when it is clicked. If students finish early, ask them to look at the bonus section in step 5/5 of the tutorial, which encourages students to explore what a graph with the equation “y=3x + 5” looks like.
After completing the DIY module, students will be asked 5 quiz questions involving quadrants and coordinates. By the end of the lesson, students will have experimented with coding concepts (e.g., drawing, loops, motion, input/output, simple events) while reinforcing different points on a coordinate plane.
- Coordinate plane: A plane divided into four sections (quadrants) by two axes (x and y), where the axis intersect at a point (0,0) called the origin
- Coordinates: A pair of numbers that shows the exact location of a point on a coordinate plane, where the first number notes the horizontal location and the second number notes the vertical location
- Horizontal axis (x-axis): The line on a graph or coordinate plane that runs horizontally (left-right)
- Vertical axis (y-axis): The line on a graph or coordinate plane that runs vertically (up-down)
- Analyze different points on a coordinate plane
- Use code blocks to create an interactive coordinate plane
- Computers or iPads (1 per student) with student account access to Tynker.com
- shape drawing
- simple loops
- simple motion
- advanced motion
- simple events
- simple drawing
- CCSS-Math: MP1, 6.NS.C.6
- CCSS-ELA: SL.6.1, SL.7.1, SL.8.1
- CSTA: 2-AP-13, 2-AP-16, 2-AP-17
- CS CA: 6-8.AP.13, 6-8.AP.16, 6-8.AP.17
- ISTE: 1.c, 1.d, 4.d, 5.c, 5.d, 6.b