Tynker Video Code Jam
Last year, Tynker had thousands of submissions to our three Code Jams and handed out over $12,000 in prizes to hundreds of winners, so we’re super excited to kick off 2021 with something new — a fantastic February Video Code Jam!
In this Video Code Jam, you’ll not only build a project but also make a 1-minute or less video about the project and post it on YouTube! Then, unleash your inner YouTuber and tell your friends and the Tynker community why and how you made the project.
The action starts on Monday, February 8 and runs through the end of February to give you enough time to make a great project and win! And, as always, stay tuned! We’ll be announcing the winners live on YouTube on Friday, March 19.
Here’s how to participate:
1. Create a project on Tynker
Please use one of these prompts, or pick your own!
2. Make a video
Create a short video that showcases what you did, including some of the code you used. And, of course, be CREATIVE and have FUN. The total length of your video must be 60 seconds or less.
- Here are some example themes for your video:
- Tell us how you came up with the idea for your project
- Explain your code and how you built the project
- Tell us what you like about coding with Tynker
- You can use voice-over or images to help tell your project’s story
- If your parents approve, you can include an image of yourself in the video
3. Upload your video on YouTube
Make sure that the video is Unlisted. (Click the Edit button to access the video’s settings. Go to the Privacy section of the page. There you’ll see the option to mark you video as “unlisted”, “public”, or “private”)
Your video must NOT include:
- Any personal information about you.
- Any reference to your city or address.
- Any phone number or other personal information.
- Please only use your Tynker public profile or first name.
4. Submit your video to enter the contest
Submit the YouTube video link of your project to Tynker using this submission form.
Tynker is giving out 10 prizes!
- 1st Place
- 2nd Place
- 8 more winners!
Tynker reserves the right to not give out any prizes if the submissions don’t meet our minimum standards.
Winners will be paid via PayPal. International winners will receive a cash transfer in their own currency equivalent to USD.
Also, please make sure it’s an original submission that you started coding from the prompt. Unless you began your project from one of the challenge prompts, your submissions won’t be entered into the competition.
- Participants are required to have a free Tynker home or school student account.
- Entries should be received by March 1, 2021 using the submission form.
- Participants are required to keep their projects and videos published for four weeks after the code jam is over — until April 1, 2021 at a minimum.
- All submitted projects are available for Tynker to use in marketing and promotional materials.
- Winners must have a parent account connected to their child account to be eligible for cash prizes.
- Tynker reserves the right to not give out any prizes if the submissions don’t meet our minimum standards.
How do Tynker’s judges select the winners?
- 25% based on video originality
- 25% based on video creativity
- 25% based on Tynker project’s use of code
- 25% based on Tynker project’s creativity
Tynker will only award cash prizes to the challenge submissions that our judges feel best fit the criteria for selecting winners as outlined here.
Participants can submit as many projects using as many prompts as they wish and can win multiple prizes.
- Winners will be announced by March 19, 2021 on YouTube Live
- Winners will be notified via email to parents
- Tynker has final discretion on judging criteria
- The decisions of the Tynker judges are final
Good luck! We can’t wait to see your videos.