Earth Science 101 - Course Overview
A collection of fun programming projects that demonstrate the application of coding to topics in geology, meteorology, oceanography, and astronomy.
- GRADES 3-5
- WEB IPAD
Once your students have completed at least five lessons of Programming 101 or equivalent coding experience, you can assign these NGSS-aligned projects to complement your teaching on topics in geology, meteorology, oceanography, and astronomy. For example, if you’re teaching a lesson on planets, you can assign the Solar System project. Your students will use coding to animate the movement of the Solar System and do their own outside research to provide additional information about each planet.
With this collection of earth science projects, you can easily integrate coding and project-based learning into your curriculum. Each STEM lesson walks students through how to make a project about something they’re learning in school with step-by-step instructions. At each step, it encourages them to make their project unique and interesting, emphasizing that coding is a creative medium much like writing or drawing.
We’re constantly updating our STEM courses with new projects, so if there’s something you’d like us to add, send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Students Learn
- Use programming for science projects
- Build a slide show on a topic
- Build a quiz game
- Make an interactive charts and models
- Use animation to illustrate
- Narrate using your own voice
- Use the physics engine to model
- Troubleshoot and debug programs
* Online courses require a modern desktop computer, laptop computer, Chromebook, or Netbook with Internet access and a Chrome (29+), Firefox (30+), Safari (7+), or Edge (20+) browser. No downloads required.
* Tablet courses require an iPad (iOS 10+) with Tynker or Tynker Junior app installed and Internet access