Lesson: Make Games - Animated Greeting Card
Time: 45+ mins
IntroductionLet's celebrate! In this lesson, campers will apply what they've learned so far to create a personalized greeting card with a festive background, music, animated Actors, and special effects.
- Computer, laptop, or tablets (1 per camper)
New Code Blocks
: Run code attached to this block when the Actor is clicked. Note: this block is titled “when actor touched” for mobile version. : Keep repeating the blocks inside this loop forever. : Play the specified sound file. : Change the costume of the Actor. : Animate the character to perform a specified action.
- Coding: Using a computer language to tell the computer what to do
- Sequence: The order in which steps or events happen
- Actors: Tynker characters and objects that can talk and interact with each other
- Command: A specific action or instruction that tells the computer to do something
- Costume: Different appearances for an Actor, such as poses used in a character’s animation
- Animation: Changing costumes (pictures) of an Actor many times to give the illusion of movement
- Use code blocks to program an animated greeting card
- Create a digital greeting card
Getting Started (5 minutes)
- Tell campers that they will be creating a personalized greeting card today using Tynker. As a class, brainstorm a list of different holidays and special events (e.g., Thanksgiving, graduation, birthday, 4th of July). Next, ask the campers to answer these short-response questions:
- If you created your own digital greeting card, what holiday or event would it be for? What colors, pictures, or background would you include? What greeting message would you use?
Coding Activities (40+ minutes)The lessons are intended for self-directed learning. Your role will be to facilitate as campers complete the Make Games - Animated Greeting Card modules on their own:
1. Introduction (Video)
- A friendly robot tells campers that they can decide which game they'd like to create next.
- Tell campers to press any key to continue on to the next module.
- Campers will follow the step-by-step tutorial to create their very own greeting card with a custom background, music, animated Actors, and special effects.
- If campers finish early, encourage them to…
- Create two additional greeting cards: One greeting card for their favorite holiday and one greeting card for their favorite celebration (for example, Halloween and birthdays)
- Program an Actor to say a special greeting. Give a hint: Tell them to use the "say" code block
- Draw their own Actors with several costumes
Wrap UpUnplugged Activity: Discussion
Review today’s coding adventure by leading a discussion. Ask campers:
- Did anyone create two greeting cards? Which holidays or celebrations did you choose?
- Does your project include a special greeting? Did you use the "say" block or did you use a different method to display your greeting?
These student-facing slide presentations help educators seamlessly run Tynker lessons in a virtual or physical classroom setting. Each lesson has its own set of slides that introduce the big ideas, suggest unplugged activities, and include a section for each activity module. While running lesson slides, you can switch back and forth between the activity, the slides, answer keys and other lesson materials.
A sample slide presentation is available for your review. Please log in to view all the class presentations available with your plan..
Lights, Music, Action
Make Games - Animated Greeting Card
Make Games - Music Video
Make Games - Maze Game
Make Games - 2-Player Battle Game
Make Games - Animated Story