Lesson: Boxing Match
Time: 25+ mins
IntroductionReady for a workout?! In this lesson, campers will create a game where they can throw punches at a virtual opponent!
New Code Blocks
: Send a message to the Actor that handles special effects, with the specified parameter. : Change the specified variable by the specified amount. : Show the score on the Actor, and round the score down to the nearest whole number.
- Use new code blocks to program the ape Actor’s feet
- Create an augmented reality boxing game that detects video motion on a virtual opponent
- Computers or iPads (1 per camper) with a working camera and student account access to Tynker.com
Warm-Up (5 minutes)1. Tell campers to take out a piece of paper and a pencil.
2. Tell campers to answer the short-response questions:
- If you created a sports-themed “augmented reality” game, what would it be? List at least two code blocks you would use and describe how you would apply it to your game.
Getting Started (5 minutes)1. Use your projector to display “Module 1: Boxing Match Intro”
2. Read the captions to the class.
Activities (15 minutes)Facilitate as campers complete the Boxing Match modules on their own:
1. Boxing Match Intro (Video)
- This short video introduces the Boxing Match lesson.
- In this DIY, campers will create an augmented reality boxing game that detects video motion on a virtual opponent!
- How to play: Tell campers to hit the ape in the head, chest, and feet to score points.
- Encourage campers to experiment with their code and attempt the bonus activities.
Optional Activities (10 minutes)Review Questions
Discuss the following with campers:
- True or false: The ape can only score a point if your body is in the video. (False, the “me” Actor affects the ape’s score)
- What are some of your favorite Tynker augmented reality projects or games so far? Why?
CCSS-ELA:SL.3.1, SL.3.3, W.3.1.C, W.3.2, SL.4.1, SL.4.1.C, W.4.2, SL.5.1, SL.5.1.C, SL.5.1.D, W.5.2, SL.6.1, SL.6.1.C, W.6.2, SL.7.1, SL.7.1.C, SL.7.1.D, W.7.2, SL.8.1, SL.8.1.C, SL.8.1.D, W.8.2
CSTA: 1A-AP-09, 1A-AP-10, 1A-AP-11, 1A-AP-14
These student-facing slide presentations help educators seamlessly run Tynker lessons in a virtual or physical classroom setting. Each lesson has its own set of slides that introduce the big ideas, suggest unplugged activities, and include a section for each activity module. While running lesson slides, you can switch back and forth between the activity, the slides, answer keys and other lesson materials.
A sample slide presentation is available for your review. Please log in to view all the class presentations available with your plan..