The World is Changing: Is Your School Ready?
We’re Going to Need Coders
Name a career, and chances are that some form of automation or algorithm is having an effect on it. From retail and manufacturing to fast food and stock picking – even writing and journalism – jobs are changing. To prepare for this future, we’re going to need more coders. Robot ice cream makers? Pizza chefs? Lawyers? Baristas? We know that cars and trucks are already getting the automated treatment, but if you can name a job with a repetitive task, there’s an algorithm doing it today.
The Good News? Millions of New Opportunities
The news about automation can seem intense, but the good news is that, according to a report from Forrester Research via Marketwatch, we’re going to be gaining 15 million new jobs in the next decade in “software, engineering, design, maintenance, support, training, and more.” And while we will be losing many more jobs to automation, the roadmap for tech-related positions is wide open. Almost half of current high paying positions include some coding skill. That’s a big deal.
The opportunity to excel in this economy is huge for those students who get the right education and the right training starting at an early age.
Parents Demand Computer Science
- Gallup/Google poll: http://www.gallup.com/poll/184637/parents-students-computer-science-education-school.aspx
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2012/01/art5full.pdf
- Labor Department via USNews: http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/software-developer/salary
- Marketwatch: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/half-of-the-high-paying-jobs-in-america-now-require-this-skill-2016-06-21
- Code.org: http://code.org/promote