Parents love that Tynker is self-guided, allowing kids to get started on the path toward coding with simple tutorials that require no additional instruction from Mom or Dad. But everything’s more fun when the whole family gets involved! Your kids are learning so much on Tynker, and they’d love to share it with you.
Sit down with your kid at the computer and have them show you what they’re up to on Tynker. Start a new project together. Ask them how they plan to code it and have them take you through the process. You’ll be amazed at what they can do, and they’ll feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in showing you! You can always give them an idea or two as well!
- Try writing a song together using Tynker’s Sound Blocks. Could be rock, pop, disco, rap or whatever genre you want! Just explore Tynker’s Music and Sound system to learn how you can combine coding with music to make your own songs. Set the tempo, then choose from over 100 instruments with our new interface keys. You can even add pedal effects like echo, distortion, and reverb.
- How about solving a coding puzzle together, making geometric art, or battling with code in a shrinking arena filled with lava in our multi-player game Crystal Clash. Even the whole family can connect to a Minecraft server and play a mini-game—Who wins?!
- With school back in session, it’s a great time to check out Tynker’s Hour of Code activities together, which empower kids to explore STEM concepts in a fun, imaginative way! You and your child can try out Multiplication Escape, Ocean Ecological Pyramid, Solar System, and other interactive coding projects to unlock your child’s love for science and math.
- Tynker’s Summer Code Jam may be over, but that doesn’t mean the fun has to stop! You can still check out all 8 of our prompts (and all our winning projects) and let them inspire a brand new idea for you and your child to work on together.
- Get moving and have fun! Tynker’s Augmented Reality (AR) course is a new way to extend coding beyond the screen! In this introductory self-guided course, you and your child can work together to build interactive experiences that blend the real and virtual world using the webcam in your computer or iPad. Rather than just watching a screen, the whole family will be able to physically stand in front of the camera and participate in the AR games they build by waving their hands or dancing!
We hope that you’ll have fun coding with your kid and check out all the awesome things they’re doing. You can always publish and share your coding projects with the Tynker community in a safe and secure environment. We can’t wait to see what you’ll create together with code!